Follow me on:
I'm a writer, photographer, and homesteader based at Half Moon Farm, a productive little 3.5 acre plot on the Great Dividing Range at Hampton, Queensland. My work has a clear agrarian bent, based on my belief that the best kind of life is one lived in tune with the natural world.
In past lives I've worked as a builder's labourer, tutor, media monitor, grocery assistant, landscape designer, nurseryman, market gardener and commercial copywriter. I have four semi-useless qualifications - a B.Sc. in Psychology, a Diploma of Landscape Design, a Diploma of Freelance Journalism, and a CertIV in Small Business plus I've done some extra studies in English literature, history and graphic design. Yep, I'm your proverbial jack of all trades, but I do like to think I'm on the way to mastering some!
In addition to paid work I do lots for fun. I enjoy swimming, camping, woodworking, building, reading, music, movies and anything to do with food - I love growing it, cooking it and eating it. I'm married to Kylie and we have three school-age kids, Marley, Monty and Fergus.
I'm an advocate for:
- A world that is good, clean and fair.
- Food that's grown on a small scale, in healthy soil, free from synthetic chemicals and prepared with liberal lashings of love.
- Distributism, a "third way" economic philosophy arguing that the means of production should be as widely distributed among the general population as possible.
- Agrarianism, living in harmony with the soil and the seasons.
- A balanced approach to technology. I don't buy into techno-utopian fantasies but I do appreciate the advance of a spade over a stick, a computer keyboard over a typewriter.
- The Good Life. The Beautiful Life. Whatever you want to call a life lived with passion, creativity, integrity, hope, independence, simplicity and deep seated joy.